OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc

This topic contains 81 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  andyss 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week-end i think to receive a new official opengarage and i try to mount the sensor, and of course i send you some picture.

the GPIO4 and GND contact are located on the LEFT-TOP of the device.

i have installed your firmware on my actual opengarage and seems to work very well and much better than original firmware, but the interface have some difference with your screens

hot, for example i cant see VEHICLE TRESHOLD field, it’s normal?

Some of the screenshots in the master branch are actually code that is in the dev branch of my repository. It adds a number of features around vehicle detection and use of the additional GPIO pins for temperature or secondary door measurements. It isn’t quite stable yet so I haven’t prompted it to the Master (the pictures were a mistake)

Is there a particular aspect you are interested in – I can get that into the master branch?

italoc
    Participant

Is there a particular aspect you are interested in – I can get that into the master branch?

Thank you but at the moment it’s not necessary… for me the priority is the magnetic sensor

i think to upload Graphics-placeat00300000.bin on my opengarege because now i can’t see icon, can i use this tool (i use OSX) ?

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

after flashing i lost all setting?

thanks

CuriousG
    Participant

Have you implemented support for adding a second ultrasonic sensor to monitor two car garages? Since I’m unable to update my firmware OTA, I’m looking to replace it with a DIY one similar to this:

OpenGarage DIY

I’m also interested in seeing what your DIY solution looks like.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Thank you but at the moment it’s not necessary… for me the priority is the magnetic sensor

i think to upload Graphics-placeat00300000.bin on my opengarege because now i can’t see icon, can i use this tool (i use OSX) ?

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

after flashing i lost all setting?

thanks

That should work – any ESP flashing utility, just burn it to address 300000. This will override the file that has your network settings and all your info so you will lose your log and settings.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Have you implemented support for adding a second ultrasonic sensor to monitor two car garages? Since I’m unable to update my firmware OTA, I’m looking to replace it with a DIY one similar to this:

OpenGarage DIY

I’m also interested in seeing what your DIY solution looks like.

Support is close for an API only implementation of a second door monitor, something you can use with a home automation setup, Alexa or Apple Homekit but adding support for a second door into the UI or the Android app is quite significant and I suspect wouldn’t be a priority to ever incorporate into the official firmware. So my thought is to add it but in a compatible way with the official firmware so making it available only via an API call.

sirotkaslo
    Participant

hm..trying to flash your graphics file, but it just stops almost at the beginning.
    Might have a clue as to why? thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CuriousG
    Participant

I was thinking in terms of a single door garage with two cars but two garage doors would even be better. 🙂

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

hm..trying to flash your graphics file, but it just stops almost at the beginning.
    Might have a clue as to why? thanks

I have seen that exact error with that flashing tool (in the same spot), I’m not sure why it gets stuck at the beginning like that. Last time I just used the flashing tool built into the arduino ESP environment and that worked fine. I think it uses esptool.py.
    I need to find a better way to do on the fly graphic file updates so you don’t need to break out a flashing tool

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

I was thinking in terms of a single door garage with two cars but two garage doors would even be better.

I hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense, my high level thought was to reformat this so you can select what you want each of the 3 available inputs to do with the one tied to the integrated ultrasonic sensor limited to distance related options on the primary garage bay but the others could be mixed and matched
    Something like:

What do you want the integrated ultrasonic to do:
    Fixed at Bay 1 Only
    * Ultrasonic Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Ultrasonic Door State plus limited vehicle occupancy (only when closed since the door blocks the sensor when up)
    * Ultrasonic Vehicle Occupancy (Door state provided by other input)

What do you want Ext input 1 to do:
    Select Bay 1 or Bay 2
    * Ultrasonic Door State plus limited vehicle occupancy (only when closed since the door blocks the sensor when up)
    * Switch Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Temperature
    * Not Used

What do you want Ext input 2 to do:
    Select Bay 1 or Bay 2
    * Switch Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Temperature
    * Not Used

That way if you have a stock device with no additions you could just configure as Bay1 door only or door plus basic vehicle state
    If you wanted to improve that a bit you move the Ultrasonic so it can see the vehicle at all times and add a switch to Ext 1 – then set the integrated US as vehicle occupancy and the Ext1 as door state.. .want to add temp/humidity add that as Ext 2.

If you have 3 door with one car each you could set all 3 to Ultrasonic basic occupancy or Door only

I guess you could accomodate a multiple car per door scenario as well – it just starts to provide a lot of options.. if anyone has better ideas how to present these options feel free to reply

CuriousG
    Participant

Since you’re looking to adding temperature support, how about motion detection like the HC-SR501? Use it in conjunction with auto door closing after X amount of minutes of no detection. Sometimes people work in their garage with it open so an idle open garage will not necessarily close if it has detected motion. You can still send the notification after X amount of minutes that the garage door is open but did not close due to motion.

sirotkaslo
    Participant

Thanks, will give it a go with arduino SW, not that big of an issue, but graphics would be nice:)

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week-end i think to receive a new official opengarage and i try to mount the sensor, and of course i send you some picture.

the GPIO4 and GND contact are located on the LEFT-TOP of the device.

i have installed your firmware on my actual opengarage and seems to work very well and much better than original firmware, but the interface have some difference with your screenshot, for example i cant see VEHICLE TRESHOLD field, it’s normal?

@italoc
    I realized why the vehicle status isn’t showing up, the binary was out of date with the master branch. I have updated it so if you flash it you should see the vehicle threshold and presence info.

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

Thanks work great…

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

@italoc

Did the firmware work ok for you with the magnetic sensor? Love to see a picture if you took any

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

My package was stopped in customhouse, and postal service say me that can receive it today or tomorrow…

If all is ok i think to test and mount the sensor this evening or tomorrow evening…

I’m waiting…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc