OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author

sirotkaslo
    Participant

hm..trying to flash your graphics file, but it just stops almost at the beginning.
    Might have a clue as to why? thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CuriousG
    Participant

I was thinking in terms of a single door garage with two cars but two garage doors would even be better. 🙂

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

hm..trying to flash your graphics file, but it just stops almost at the beginning.
    Might have a clue as to why? thanks

I have seen that exact error with that flashing tool (in the same spot), I’m not sure why it gets stuck at the beginning like that. Last time I just used the flashing tool built into the arduino ESP environment and that worked fine. I think it uses esptool.py.
    I need to find a better way to do on the fly graphic file updates so you don’t need to break out a flashing tool

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

I was thinking in terms of a single door garage with two cars but two garage doors would even be better.

I hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense, my high level thought was to reformat this so you can select what you want each of the 3 available inputs to do with the one tied to the integrated ultrasonic sensor limited to distance related options on the primary garage bay but the others could be mixed and matched
    Something like:

What do you want the integrated ultrasonic to do:
    Fixed at Bay 1 Only
    * Ultrasonic Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Ultrasonic Door State plus limited vehicle occupancy (only when closed since the door blocks the sensor when up)
    * Ultrasonic Vehicle Occupancy (Door state provided by other input)

What do you want Ext input 1 to do:
    Select Bay 1 or Bay 2
    * Ultrasonic Door State plus limited vehicle occupancy (only when closed since the door blocks the sensor when up)
    * Switch Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Temperature
    * Not Used

What do you want Ext input 2 to do:
    Select Bay 1 or Bay 2
    * Switch Door State only (no vehicle proximity)
    * Temperature
    * Not Used

That way if you have a stock device with no additions you could just configure as Bay1 door only or door plus basic vehicle state
    If you wanted to improve that a bit you move the Ultrasonic so it can see the vehicle at all times and add a switch to Ext 1 – then set the integrated US as vehicle occupancy and the Ext1 as door state.. .want to add temp/humidity add that as Ext 2.

If you have 3 door with one car each you could set all 3 to Ultrasonic basic occupancy or Door only

I guess you could accomodate a multiple car per door scenario as well – it just starts to provide a lot of options.. if anyone has better ideas how to present these options feel free to reply

CuriousG
    Participant

Since you’re looking to adding temperature support, how about motion detection like the HC-SR501? Use it in conjunction with auto door closing after X amount of minutes of no detection. Sometimes people work in their garage with it open so an idle open garage will not necessarily close if it has detected motion. You can still send the notification after X amount of minutes that the garage door is open but did not close due to motion.

sirotkaslo
    Participant

Thanks, will give it a go with arduino SW, not that big of an issue, but graphics would be nice:)

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week-end i think to receive a new official opengarage and i try to mount the sensor, and of course i send you some picture.

the GPIO4 and GND contact are located on the LEFT-TOP of the device.

i have installed your firmware on my actual opengarage and seems to work very well and much better than original firmware, but the interface have some difference with your screenshot, for example i cant see VEHICLE TRESHOLD field, it’s normal?

@italoc

I realized why the vehicle status isn’t showing up, the binary was out of date with the master branch. I have updated it so if you flash it you should see the vehicle threshold and presence info.

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

Thanks work great…

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

@italoc

Did the firmware work ok for you with the magnetic sensor? Love to see a picture if you took any

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

My package was stopped in customhouse, and postal service say me that can receive it today or tomorrow…

If all is ok i think to test and mount the sensor this evening or tomorrow evening…

I’m waiting…

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

my opengarage is still locked in customs

I’m angry with my postal service, they tell me it may take 1 week or 10 days

sirotkaslo
    Participant

I received magnetic switches today, will give it a try tomorrow and post pics.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Sounds great.. post if you have any issues with it.

italoc
    Participant

@lawrence_jeff

i have received my official opengarage just now, now i update your firmware and during this weekend i mount the magnatic sensor…

italoc
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

Magnetic contact works very well with your firmware, let me know if you need more images

Tomorrow I con mount OpenGarage and magnetic contact on my external gate…

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Great to hear it is working for you- let me know if you see anything with this config you think should be changed, one thing I notice is that I should hide the fake distance. Basically to maintain compat with all the built in code I just set the distance to either a fake high or fake low number – but that shouldn’t be displayed on the homepage

Also is your OG Unit able to see your vehicle with the distance sensor? I was planning on making it so the firmware had a mode where the built in sensor can be used exclusively for determining if you have a vehicle present and the door sensor used the switch. Let me know if this is of interest (I couldn’t remember if you said you were going to be mounting outside)

sirotkaslo
    Participant

All working great here! I would love for a mod where you could use the distance sensor for vehicle detection and the magnetic one for the door.

italoc
    Participant

Also is your OG Unit able to see your vehicle with the distance sensor? I was planning on making it so the firmware had a mode where the built in sensor can be used exclusively for determining if you have a vehicle present and the door sensor used the switch. Let me know if this is of interest (I couldn’t remember if you said you were going to be mounting outside)

no my OG can see vehicle it’s connected to extarnal gate, but i have noticed a little bug in you bin image file, the image of NO VEHICLE is not found…

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

I didn’t understand your response, did you mean No my OG can not see vehicle, if you can’t see the vehicle you can disable detection by setting the vehicle detection threshold to 0 (which I think you probably know as your screenshots appeared to have it off)

The extra pictures require you to manually burn an additional firmware file which can’t be done currently through the GUI – but in your case if you can’t see the vehicle I wouldn’t worry with it.

If I misunderstood and you CAN see the vehicle let me know and I can try to make the firmware handle the scenario where the sensor can be used to detect a vehicle and the door sensor is used exclusively for the door.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

All working great here! I would love for a mod where you could use the distance sensor for vehicle detection and the magnetic one for the door.

Ok – let me take a look at just moving that scenario from dev to the prod firmware.. need to fight the urge to rewrite lots of pieces to support that.

italoc
    Participant

The extra pictures require you to manually burn an additional firmware file which can’t be done currently through the GUI – but in your case if you can’t see the vehicle I wouldn’t worry with it.

i have uploaded this file Graphics-placeat00300000.bin more picture are present but not the image of NO VEHICLE

I didn’t understand your response, did you mean No my OG can not see vehicle, if you can’t see the vehicle you can disable detection by setting the vehicle detection threshold to 0 (which I think you probably know as your screenshots appeared to have it off)

My opengarage cant see vehicle, it’s located inside the motor of external gate and use only magnetic sensor for know the position of the gate

sirotkaslo
    Participant

Tested this for a few days, it’s great. Works with home assistant. Had only one fail,but that was my fault – closed the door before home assistant changed stato from opening to open.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Great to hear – I kept all the API stuff backwards compatible so it shouldn’t break anything. I did add explicit close and open commands I wonder might help with using things like home assistant. The vanilla firmware accepts only a click command so can get out of whack if something else is changing the state. Mine also supports explicitly saying you want to close or open, so if the external stuff gets confused and sends a close when OG is already closed it won’t then open like the native firmware would when receiving the click command (it sees its already closed and does nothing)

Probably wouldn’t take much to tweak – just replace the click=1 with close=1 and open=1 in the appropriate places.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by lawrence_jeff.

The icons are not displayed on your @lawrence_jeff firmware.

Everything else worked great for me. Specially that the IGMPv2 reset bug is fixed.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Unfortunately you can’t get the icons via the built in update function (it doesn’t update the place where they are stored)
    If you want to use a firmware burning tool you can use the bin Graphics-placeat00300000.bin to get them on the device.

I don’t believe I have seen mention of the IGMPv2 bug, can you provide more detail.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc