OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • Author

CuriousG
    Participant

I wrote a somewhat lengthy post only to have the website crash when I tried to post. Arrrggh. Bottom line, I was able to get it to compile with your updated readme.

italoc
    Participant

I like your fork and i think to try your firmware with a magnetic conact, but i have a question:

mangetic contact need to be connected to GPIO4 and GPIO5 correct?

a magnetic contact like this is ok ?
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00901DDYU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WKAFHZHA7NIZ&coliid=I2DJ6UQLXIA59N

thanks

sirotkaslo
    Participant

italoc, I believe you need a normally closed sensor, so when both ends are together its in closed position.

As far as this firmware goes, this is perfect, but where do I change how open door is read – from distance sensor to magnetic switch? I am really new to all of this…
    Thank you!

italoc
    Participant

you can’t find any option in options page?

in github readme i see this:

“Option page changes

Support for added functions – like magnetic switch sensor type and close at certain time”

let me know

sirotkaslo
    Participant

I have no idea tbh, as I’ve only tried official firmware for now, still waiting for magnetic switch to arrive from china, usually takes about 2-3 weeks to Slovenia.

italoc
    Participant

let me know, i’m very intrested

CuriousG
    Participant

As a followup on my Blynk notifications with the Nexus 5X, it has been resolved when Blynk updated their app yesterday which had compatibility issues with Android Oreo.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Actually either type of sensor will work, there are two options (one to mount on the bottom of the door and one at the top) since these would be closed at opposite times one of the two will work with a NO or NC sensor (depending on where you mount it)

(With my firmware at least)

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

That should be fine, I will post more info on the connection of the sensor, do you use an official device or DIY?

italoc
    Participant

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

thank you Lawrence

I think to use this sensor

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00901DDYU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WKAFHZHA7NIZ&coliid=I2DJ6UQLXIA59N

I’m waiting your info

I would expect that switch to work fine. Just to be clear though you don’t really need this with an official opengarage device unless for some reason the built in ultrasonic sensor won’t work for some reason.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by lawrence_jeff.

italoc
    Participant

I would expect that switch to work fine. Just to be clear though you don’t really need this with an official opengarage device unless for some reason the built in ultrasonic sensor won’t work for some reason.

in this case i don’t need ultrasonic sensor but only a magnetic sensor… can you say mw how connect the sensor to official opengarage?

thanks

sirotkaslo
    Participant

I was thinking about using the magnetic sensor for closed/open state and the ultrasonic one for movement detection, as I dont have a car in my garage, but 2 motorcycles and would have to move the ultrasonic sensor to a different location. But now thinking about this, I will probably just buy the xiaomi sensor and use the ultrasonic one on my door and the magnetic one on roller doors. Thanks

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

I was thinking about using the magnetic sensor for closed/open state and the ultrasonic one for movement detection, as I dont have a car in my garage, but 2 motorcycles and would have to move the ultrasonic sensor to a different location. But now thinking about this, I will probably just buy the xiaomi sensor and use the ultrasonic one on my door and the magnetic one on roller doors. Thanks

Not 100% sure I understand what you are proposing (not familiar with Xiamoi device) but just to be clear, with Opengarage (or my extended firmware) you can only monitor one door, its an either ultrasonic or magnetic. You seemed to be indicating monitoring two doors so just wanted to make sure you understood.

sirotkaslo
    Participant

I’m sorry, English isn’t my native language. I have only one door, but I thought about using the magnetic sensor for door status and ultrasonic for movement detection. Instead I will use ultrasonic version on my door (section garage door) with xiaomi pir sensor for movement. For my friend I will use your modified version, as he has roller doors and cant use ultrasonic sensor for it.

italoc
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week i receive all material for test your firmware, can you explain me how to connect a magnetic sensor to an official opengarage device?

I suppose to connect to GPIO4 and GPIO5, but it’s only my personal opinion….

thanks

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Yes – I was intending to write it up along with instructions on how to add my firmware, I will try to do it tonight. The only part I am unsure on is exactly how to access the header on an official opengarage device, I don’t have one myself I have a custom made one using the same components.

According to the schematic the header is at the top of the board but i don’t see any opening in the case to access it. Do you have the device yet?

Jeff

italoc
    Participant

Yes, I just have one official OpenGarage device that I use for my internal garage door, I’M waiting the second for the external gate

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by italoc.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

@italoc Instructions for the magnetic switch can be found at the end of my updated readme. Let me know if you have any questions. If you go through these and wire it up please send me a picture so I can include it.

https://github.com/lawrence-jeff/OpenGarage-Firmware/blob/master/README.md

italoc
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week-end i think to receive a new official opengarage and i try to mount the sensor, and of course i send you some picture.

the GPIO4 and GND contact are located on the LEFT-TOP of the device.

i have installed your firmware on my actual opengarage and seems to work very well and much better than original firmware, but the interface have some difference with your screenshot, for example i cant see VEHICLE TRESHOLD field, it’s normal?

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Hi lawrence_jeff,

during this week-end i think to receive a new official opengarage and i try to mount the sensor, and of course i send you some picture.

the GPIO4 and GND contact are located on the LEFT-TOP of the device.

i have installed your firmware on my actual opengarage and seems to work very well and much better than original firmware, but the interface have some difference with your screens

hot, for example i cant see VEHICLE TRESHOLD field, it’s normal?

Some of the screenshots in the master branch are actually code that is in the dev branch of my repository. It adds a number of features around vehicle detection and use of the additional GPIO pins for temperature or secondary door measurements. It isn’t quite stable yet so I haven’t prompted it to the Master (the pictures were a mistake)

Is there a particular aspect you are interested in – I can get that into the master branch?

italoc
    Participant

Is there a particular aspect you are interested in – I can get that into the master branch?

Thank you but at the moment it’s not necessary… for me the priority is the magnetic sensor

i think to upload Graphics-placeat00300000.bin on my opengarege because now i can’t see icon, can i use this tool (i use OSX) ?

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

after flashing i lost all setting?

thanks

CuriousG
    Participant

Have you implemented support for adding a second ultrasonic sensor to monitor two car garages? Since I’m unable to update my firmware OTA, I’m looking to replace it with a DIY one similar to this:

OpenGarage DIY

I’m also interested in seeing what your DIY solution looks like.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Thank you but at the moment it’s not necessary… for me the priority is the magnetic sensor

i think to upload Graphics-placeat00300000.bin on my opengarege because now i can’t see icon, can i use this tool (i use OSX) ?

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

after flashing i lost all setting?

thanks

That should work – any ESP flashing utility, just burn it to address 300000. This will override the file that has your network settings and all your info so you will lose your log and settings.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Have you implemented support for adding a second ultrasonic sensor to monitor two car garages? Since I’m unable to update my firmware OTA, I’m looking to replace it with a DIY one similar to this:

OpenGarage DIY

I’m also interested in seeing what your DIY solution looks like.

Support is close for an API only implementation of a second door monitor, something you can use with a home automation setup, Alexa or Apple Homekit but adding support for a second door into the UI or the Android app is quite significant and I suspect wouldn’t be a priority to ever incorporate into the official firmware. So my thought is to add it but in a compatible way with the official firmware so making it available only via an API call.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Fork with MQTT, Magnetic Sensor support ,Close if left open at night – misc