OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Temperature, humidity

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

OpenGarage is great handy tool.

You may consider adding temperature and humidity sensor (like DHT22)?

Thanks.

Ray
    Keymaster

Actually the first design of OpenGarage did have a temperature sensor on board, but it was dropped in the final design. It’s nice to have extra sensors, but it’s hard to know how many users need them, and DHT22 is quite expensive honestly, so we would rather not have to include such components if most users don’t need them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Ray,

I am going to attempt to make a version of open garage and i was also very interested in adding a dht22. Is there a provision in the code to add the sensor if i want to or can you provide the code to get the dht22 working?

Thank you,

Dave

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

To get DHT22 to work, you just need the DHT22 library:
    https://github.com/adafruit/DHT-sensor-library
    and it requires a spare GPIO pin. On OpenGarage, GPIO 4 and 5 are spare pins and are mapped out, so you can use either of them.

Alternatively, there are I2C versions of DHT22 (for example, AM2320). GPIO 4 and 5 happen to be the hardware I2C SDA and SCL pins respectively, so you can also use AM2320. The library for AM2320 can be found here:
    https://github.com/thakshak/AM2320

Gompka
    Participant

Ray, i can get the dht sensor working with the blynk examples and my wemos d1, however when it comes to open garage the code is much more complicated and I don’t even know where i should reference the dht.h library and where i can define the dht pin. I’m sorry to be a pita, but this is the last bit i need to get working, any help is greatly appreciated.

Ray
    Keymaster

Just reference dht.h in main.cpp. You can define the dht pin anywhere, but I would suggest defining it in defines.h as that’s where all hardware pins are specified.

Gompka
    Participant

Ray, i finally got everything working, thank you for your direction, i am just waiting for a project box to come in and will be installing this on the garage!

szormpas
    Participant

Hi Gompka,

I am also interested in adding a dht22. Could you please share the details of your project (code modifications, DHT22 version, library, pin diagram etc.)?

Have you also made changes on opensprinkler UI or you just use blynk app?

All these could be very useful for users with little programming experience like me.

Thanks
    Sotirios

Gompka
    Participant

Sotrios I will start a separate post with a more detailed write up on what I did. I’m working on it, will takeemail another day or two.

szormpas
    Participant

thanks, I am looking forward to your post.

Gompka
    Participant

Here is a link to my post wemos d1 and dht22

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why did the original version have a temp/humidity sensor? I’m wondering if temp and humidity affect the ultrasonic distance sensor? My part of the world has huge sweeps in temp and humidity -10F to 110F 20%-100% RH. And the garage sometimes gets hotter than outside. Would my sensor read more accurately if I added a temp/humidity sensor?

Or was the original inclusion of those sensors as random as including a solar flare sensor or seismometer?

Ray
    Keymaster

I am not sure what you meant by “the original version have a temp/humidity sensor” — OpenGarage has never had such sensor pre-installed. The firmware supports readings these sensors but you have to solder them on yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Temperature, humidity