OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware OG Not connection to WiFi

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant

I just received my OG, when I try to connect to my wifi it never reports the new IP address. I have a Cisco 3602i running in autonomous mode (I do not have a controller). I have updated the firmware to 1.0.4 through the USB Port. What am I missing?

Thanks,

EDIT: The LED is flashing red slowly

Ray
    Keymaster

Hi, slow flashing means it’s attempting to connect. You can reset it by pressing the button for more than 5 seconds, until the LED turns solid on, and then release the button. Is your Cisco 3602i by any chance a 5G-only router? Also, could you try a different router, or create an Hotspot on your phone and let OG connect to the hotspot? If nothing works, you can submit a support ticket to get it replaced.

kentaylor
    Participant

I may be seeing the same issue – my OG refuses to connect to my network – In my case I have a pair of Meraki WiFi basestations with a Cisco router doing the DHCP. It seems the ESP8266 has issues with Cisco DHCP servers. It connects very occasionally and gets a valid DHCP response, but usually not.

If I fire up a generic Billion router and use its WiFi, it connects every time, but this doesn’t help with my network.

I’ve tried 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 firmware, with no real difference

I tried making a standalone SSID that was only on one of the APs, in case it was an issue with it trying to connect to the furthest-away AP, but that didn’t really help.

Interestingly, I also could not flash the firmware using the method described in the FAQ – it would not go into boot loader mode.

So – do I have a faulty OG, or is this just the way it is?

kentaylor
    Participant

OK – As a followup, I have got it all working with another AP, but it still won’t connect to the Cisco/Meraki. I suspect this is an ESP8266 firmware issue.

Maybe this will get fixed later, but for now, I have a workaround.

Ray
    Keymaster

There is a new firmware that we released recently (1.0.7) which compiled the code with ESP8266 core 2.3.0, and that may have addressed the connection issue.

I have prepared a zip file that contains necessary tools to reflash the firmware through USB. Please download it here:
    http://raysfiles.com/og/ogflash.zip
    take a look at the README.txt and give it a try to see if it works.

kentaylor
    Participant

Thanks Ray, once I got it onto a happy AP, I was able to reflash it – it’s running 1.0.7 now – still doesn’t seem to like the Cisco/Meraki AP, but it’s working fine on the Billion

Geert Vercamer
    Participant

same here. It’s not connecting after the update. (It cann’t take hours, can it?) Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router with latest firmware.

The OG is kind of hard to reach for me now (surgery on shoulder). A very stupid question, I know, but where is that button? I’d have my son push it, but I don’t see it. 🙁

Thanks

Ray
    Keymaster

The button is inside on the circuit board. There is a hole on the enclosure — you can use a small screwdriver or something sharp to pass through the hole to reach the button.

Dox
    Participant

I just wanted to add my thanks for this thread. I couldn’t connect to WiFi after the 1.08 update, but had been trying to re-connect to a Meraki AP with a Meraki MX supplying DHCP. I switched to a different AP with built in DHCP and connected first time.

TL;DR

I had an issue with my physical installation (the cable came loose, and the movement of the door eventually pulled one leg from the spring clips on my transparent OG model). I soldered the wires to the spring terminals which had broken when I tried to reset the wires, and decided to flash 1.08 while I was working on the unit.

I’d been careful with the soldering iron but was worried that I’d damaged something in the process. I couldn’t see how, as the unit booted and could see the various SSIDs I have.

Both my Meraki MX and Windows Server DHCP servers supply some additional options (like my timezone / DST parameters) whereas the AP I did connect to just hands out address / mask and gateway. When I get a chance, I’ll see if I can connect to the Meraki with a more vanilla DHCP behind it, but at least this is a +1 for the DHCP client being less robust in the 1.08 / core 2.30 build.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware OG Not connection to WiFi