OpenGarage Forums Hardware Questions Wiring for remote button

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’ve been thinking of how to connect OpenGarage to my garage door. I have a Craftsman 139.53918D which has a digital wall controller, so I can’t wire directly into the opener wires (I’ve tried using Garageio, but I’m way more interested in OpenGarage). I can, however, wire into the button inside the wall controller. The pushbutton on the board in the wall controller is identical to the button in the remote in the picture on the website here, and even though the wall controller sends a digital signal to the opener, it still has a pushbutton to open and close the door. I’m reasonably sure I can just connect to that button.

The button has four points on it, so I’m just trying to figure out which two I connect to.

Any help would be appreciated.

(EDIT) I’d rather not use a remote control for this, because they are in short supply right now. I’d rather wire into the button in the wall controller if I can.

Regards
    Bill

Ray
    Keymaster

If you can access the pushbutton on the wall controller (you will need to open the enclosure of the wall controller to access the two pins of the pushbutton), you can solder two wires onto the pushbutton pins. That way, the relay click on OpenGarage will simulate pressing the pushbutton.

This is how we make the Security+ 2.0 adapter — we buy off-the-shelf Security+ 2.0 door buttons, and and solder two wires onto the pushbutton, and connect these two wires to the orange terminal block on OpenGarage.

Note that many pushbuttons have four pins, however, it’s really just two pins (the two pins on the same horizontal line are internally wired together and hence count as 1 pin). The easiest way to check is to use a multimeter to check the connectivity. When button is released, the two pins appear as open circuit; when the button is clicked, the two pins appear as short circuit.

Anonymous

Note that many pushbuttons have four pins, however, it’s really just two pins (the two pins on the same horizontal line are internally wired together and hence count as 1 pin)

Ray, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

I’ll wire it up and let you know how it goes.

-bill

Anonymous

Wired up to the wall button, worked like a CHAMP! I’m excited for my OG to arrive!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Hardware Questions Wiring for remote button