OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware WiFi to Mobile Handoff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

brian2

Should the Blynk app’s connection to my OG unit survive the transition from Wifi to mobile network? My Blynk widget works fine as long as it’s on the same LAN as my unit, however when I leave and come back to my house (or temporarily switch off Wifi on my phone, forcing mobile network) I cannot connect to my OG with Blynk. I get an error message that says “Your generic board is not in network.”

I am using a non-standard port (91); this port is forwarded to my OG unit in my router. I have reflashed the firmware (it was on 1.0.3 already, but reflashed anyway). I also redid the setup from scratch.

EDIT: Problem description is actually much simpler. Blynk app is not connecting to the OG controller at all, under any circumstances, over LTE/Verizon. It’s fine while on the same subnet. What would be some initial troubleshooting steps for this?

EDIT 2: I do get door open/close notifications while in LTE, which would seem to indicate the OG controller is at least communicating with the outside world. Still cannot connect to the OG from outside my LAN, however.

Anonymous

Hi,
    Check your WiFi network security disallows connecting alien devices completely (MAC filtering, etc)?
    There is a firewall running. Default port for hardware connections is 8442. Make sure it’s open.

brian2

The OpenGarage unit can communicate with the outside world – I get Open/Close notifications if I am outside my network. It is also connecting to my LAN just fine. When my phone is connected to the same LAN as my OG unit, the Blynk widget works perfectly.

Just to be on the safe side I verified MAC filtering is off. I just tried forwarding 8442 directly to my OG unit, and that did not help either.

Anything else to recommend?

Anonymous

Try to remove that forward by port 91, let OG connect freely through the router!

Whenever the blynk server does not find the blynk hardware, the blynk app say “Your generic board is not in network.”

Maybe one of these cases: I have one mobile network router Huawei B310 from Vodafone that does not allow OG pass in any way,
    the solution was to connect a wifi extender in AP mode and connect the OG to this and its working fine.

Hope this helps.

brian2

Thank you so much for trying to help. I tried removing the port forward. I also reverted to port 80 on the OG controller. Neither of these will allow me to use the Blynk application from outside the LAN on which the OG sits. I do continue to get door open/door notifications properly, so, again, the OG unit is communicating with the outside world to some degree.

Ray
    Keymaster

@brian: when using the Blynk app, you shouldn’t need any port forwarding: the way Blynk works is that the device (OG) communicates with the Blynk cloud server, sends status and receives commands from the server. Your mobile phone / app also communicates with the cloud server and so all communicates are through the cloud server. There is no need to set up port forwarding.

One thing to double check is that the Blynk token you set on OG matches the token in the Blynk app.

Setting port forwarding would be useful if you don’t want to use Blynk app, and instead want to directly access the native web interface of OG. Once port forwarding is set up, you can type in your router’s external IP address and access the built-in web interface directly. This way it doesn’t go through Blynk app.

Ray
    Keymaster

Actually I am wondering if this might have to do with either your Blynk app is outdated, or the firmware is outdated. A couple months ago Blynk had a service break and after it’s back online, it can’t communicate with older Blynk libraries any more. We immediately updated the firmware to use the latest library, but if you purchased OG before that you may still have older firmware (specifically, if you have the original firmware 1.0.0). The solution is to follow instructions here:
    http://rayshobby.net/introducing-opengarage/#update_firmware
    to update the firmware.

brian2

I am running the latest firmware (1.0.3). My blync app is the latest version available in the Play store. My auth token matches (as proof the Blynk app works on my LAN). Ideally I would like the Blync app to work from my own network or from off network and not have to use the web interface. I am at your service if you would like to check anything out on my network. Thank you for the helpful suggestions so far.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware WiFi to Mobile Handoff