OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Wifi doesn’t reconnect

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I’ve noticed with my OpenGarage that if it loses its wifi connection, for example when I upgrade the firmware on my access points, that it never reconnects. I need to power cycle the OpenGarage to get it back on the network. Any way you could add some code in the main loop to account for this?

Thanks!

Ray
    Keymaster

I will look into this. How often do you upgrade the firmware on your access point? i assume it’s not very often?

Anonymous

Well, I’m a network engineer, so more often than you would think. 😀

I’m actually more worried that the device will somehow lose its wifi connection, maybe due to temporary wifi interference, and then it’s off the network until I power cycle it. If it happens while I’m not home that could be impacting since we’ll lose control of the garage door.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, this has been added to todo list. I have previously rebooted my router multiple times and didn’t encounter any problem with OG reconnecting, so I didn’t think this is an issue (i.e. I assume the ESP8266 library automatically handles reconnection). But now I will add some more explicit code to handle reconnection.

schwim
    Participant

Looks like this happened to me today. The OG was online for several weeks then dropped offline today. The light was blinking slowly, not reconnecting. A power cycle cause it to re-connect.

Ray
    Keymaster

Sorry that the issue still exists. I am pretty sure the latest firmware code handles re-connect, but I suspect the compiled firmware that we flash to OG doesn’t have this portion of the code. I will check asap and fix the compiled firmware.

schwim
    Participant

Thanks for checking into it!

By the way, I’m using the OG to control an astronomical observatory roof. It’s very comforting to know that the roof is open or closed without having to check a camera! Good stuff!

Ray
    Keymaster

Very cool. That’s an innovative use of OG 🙂

Dan Erickson
    Participant

I had a similar problem with OpenGarage being unavailable from WiFI and requiring power reset to get it to reconnect. I switch out the USB power adaptor and my problem seems to have gone away (haven’t had the problem in months, or since). I don’t know what the real issue is but the original adaptor I used was 5v 1A (came with a Google chrome-cast), I switch it out for another 5v 1A adaptor (no name brand). I suspect the issue might be related to noise for the garage door motor.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Wifi doesn’t reconnect