OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests water tank level?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

szormpas
    Participant

Hi, I was wondering whether I could use opengarage just as a water tank level sensor. For example, put it at the top of my home water tank in order to monitor the water level. What kind of waterproof enclosure should I use?

Could the above be an alternative use of opengarage? I’ve been looking for a water level sensor for awhile but all options seem to me very expensive for home use.

Many thanks

Sotirios

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, I think this is a great alternative use of OG — a while back I saw a project here:

Sump pump alert with Moteino & HC-SR04

that uses the same ultrasonic distance sensor for sump pump monitoring.

I think the stock OG firmware can already be used as a water level sensor — you can set the threshold to an appropriate value you want, and you can change the mount from ‘ceiling mount’ to ‘side mount’ if you need reverse logic.

szormpas
    Participant

Thank you Ray,

where could I find the technical specification of OG board. What is the voltage output of relay?

Can I use the on-board relay to switch on/off for example a water pump?

Great product!
    Sotirios

Ray
    Keymaster

OpenGarage is completely open source, you can find the circuit design at:
    https://github.com/opengarage

I am not sure what you mean by ‘the voltage output of the relay’ — the relay does not output any voltage itself, it’s a switch. The on-board relay is rated 3 amp contact current. If your water pump exceeds 3 amp, you should NOT use the on-board relay but you can use an external relay with larger current rating, or solid state relay.

szormpas
    Participant

Hi,

I mean the max voltage (AC or DC) and max current that I can directly switch on/off with the on-board relay. I made a diagram below:

thanks

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by szormpas.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ray
    Keymaster

The current rating of the relay is 3A @ 250VAC (also 3V @ 30VDC)

szormpas
    Participant

thanks, this is a useful information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests water tank level?