OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Tailgate / hatchback spotter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SierraFrek
    Participant

Any thoughts on adapting Opengarage to handle following scenario, as there is a demand for such a capable item. Problem:
    1. Car hatch or tailgate sticks out beyond garage door and accidental garage door closure results in damage to vehicle.
    2. Car is not pulled in garage all the way but wheel is not blocking sensor, accidental press of garage door opener to close results in door contacting car (scratches or dents).
    Suggested solution: use distance sensing opengarage.io device relay to mechanically move a panel to obstruct photo sensor of GDO, or perhaps electronically disrupt the sensor power (testing required).

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

I don’t really follow – how would opengarage detect these scenarios any better than the IR sensor already on the door. I understand the premise of how it would stop a door (by moving something in the beam path) but not seeing how it would detect it needs to do that. Can you explain more

Ray
    Keymaster

My guess is that this is referring to situations where some parts of the car are sticking out of the garage above the safety/IR sensor. The easiest way to address this is probably to add a second set of safety/IR sensor at some height above ground.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Tailgate / hatchback spotter