OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Says it is open when it is not

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

huenemeca
    Participant

Hi,
    I have my Open Garage setup and it works good to open/close the door. The problem is that several times a day it will show a false positive, reporting that the door is open, but only for a few seconds. Then it goes back to closed. Then after a few days it locks on the Open state and I have to reboot it to get it to work again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Are you running the latest firmware – when you say it shows a false positive what exactly are you referring to, the App, the webpage a 3’rd party service monitoring it?

Is the distance sensor pointing directly down at a flat surface when this happens or is it potentially hitting something angled (like the edge of a vehicle?)

Ray
    Keymaster

Check if you are running firmware 1.0.8, the latest firmware. It has better noise filtering to suppress false positives.

huenemeca
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I will update the firmware and see if that helps. I have the device mounted to the roof pointing at the floor. It reports the garage door as open when it is not only the minivan is in the garage. I monitor it though the web app and home assistant.

callifo
    Participant

One thing to check would be the power supply. Just went through this myself and even on 1.08 the unit would constantly alternate between car in garage and car not in garage (when the car was not in the garage).

Distance sensor would jump between 2M and 0.9M. I couldn’t adjust the tolerances, as when the car was when the car was in the garage it would normally report 1.2M (car is actually 1.5M away). I plotted it over a day without the car in there and it looked like a rainbow, car in and out every minute or so. Did notice on the plot however the colder the temperature got, the worse the problem became. At times it would almost be convinced the car was in the garage all day when it wasn’t.

The manual suggests any powersupply capable of 500ma should suffice, but I ended up needing to use a 1A unit, which has completely solved the issued. Its pretty much 100% rock solid and reads the correct distance each time. Not really sure if this is a USB PSU voltage issue or the charger unable to supply enough current, or the opengarage unit occasionally drawing more than 500ma.

Interestingly enough, the 1A USB PSU also fixed the distance reading when the car was in the garage, previously reading 1.2M but it now reads much closer to the correct distance (1.5M).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Comments, Suggestions, Requests Says it is open when it is not