OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Mobile and Web App OG with private Blynk server

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ravishi
    Participant

I’m new to Blynk and OG. I can’t get OG to communicate with the private Blynk server. The app shows “Generic Board is offline” with no data. The Blynk web admin interface shows no hardware connections. I searched the forums here and didn’t see anyone mention a private Blynk server. Any tips on how to fix this?

Here are the steps I followed:

I set up a private Blynk server and the server is functional as far as I can tell; the admin interface is up and I can log into it on the mobile app. I have the following ports on my router forwarded to the private Blynk server: 80, 8080, 8440, 8441, 8442, 8443, and 9443. I have also successfully brought up the OG and can navigate to its web interface. I then created the Blynk project with the QR code and plugged the generated token into the OG web interface and rebooted it. Repeated these steps a few times but the result is always that the app shows “Generic Board is offline”.

ravishi
    Participant

I’m thinking it might have to do with self-signed certificates on the blynk server. A few questions:

Can someone confirm that OG requires the blynk server to have publicly signed certs in order to communicate?
    Any way to configure OG to ignore invalid certificates?
    Is it possible to look at system level logs on OG to debug these types of issues?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by ravishi.

ravishi
    Participant

I got it working. It wasn’t an issue with certificates. Turns out the OG firmware doesn’t allow you to adjust the Blynk domain/port so it always defaults to Blynk public cloud. I opened a PR to make this configurable. https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/pull/20

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by ravishi.

BillB
    Participant

How do I get the firmware with configurable Blynk server?

Ray
    Keymaster

This is well documented on Blynk website:
    https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server#blynk-server
    particularly the section about what to change on the firmware side and app side:
    https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server#app-and-sketch-changes
    On the firmware side it’s just one line of change (Blynk.begin). Note that OpenGarage firmware uses Blynk.config function (because the firmware manages the WiFi itself and does not delegate Blynk to manage WiFi, but changing it to use a different server is the same as before).

BillB
    Participant

Thanks for the information. For those of us who aren’t quite so technically saavy, it can be a challenge figuring out where to look for information, especially with so few hints in the documentation. Again, thanks for the information — and for all the work you’ve put into this!

BillB
    Participant

I’m sorry — but I can’t figure out what all this is telling me. Is there any place I can go to get step-by-step instructions on how to configure your product to work with a private blynk server? Or is there somebody willing to walk me through it? I’d be glad to create the documentation for this, if only I can get it working.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Mobile and Web App OG with private Blynk server