OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware I might bricked my OpenGarage?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

fishy
    Participant

Today I updated the firmware (it’s 1.0.9 with 2 of my patches built from https://github.com/fishy/OpenGarage-Firmware/commits/81b0d2159abe76a063cbc0bc88979f95944fdc61, I used the same patches on top of 1.0.8 for a few months without a problem). It worked for a hour or so, then my home internet connection was down. After I rebooted the router I no longer see OG connected to the router.

After I removed OG from the garage and put it near my computer, I noticed:

1. When plugin the USB power cable, the light flashed blue for once then off (no beep, not connected to the wifi)
    2. I tried to put it into bootloading mode, by put the micro usb cable into OpenGarage, holding the button, then plug the USB end of the cable to the computer. When I plugged the USB end of the cable to the computer the light flashed blue once then off, no beep either, and I can’t find the USB device on my computer (Mac).

Is there anything else I can try at this point to revive it?

Ray
    Keymaster

The flashing blue light: is it relatively high frequency (like more than 2-3 times a second) or relatively low frequency (like once per second)?

You can perform a factory reset: when the device is powered on, press and hold the button for 10 seconds, then release. It should recovery to factory reset.

fishy
    Participant

It’s showing blue light exactly once, not flashing/blinking. This happens to both normal power on and my attempt to power on to booatloading mode.

Ray
    Keymaster

Does pressing the button for 10 seconds recover it to factory default? If not, you may have to send it back to us for reflashing firmware through USB. I don’t think the chip is bricked — the bootloader is very robust that unless if the chip is physically damaged it’s almost not possible to brick it. The only thing is that the current version of OpenGarage no longer has built-in USB-serial chip, so if for whatever reason the OTA update doesn’t work, you will need to send it back to us as we have a special programmer to plug into the board to program it. You can also use your own USB-serial cable/adapter but it requires a bit of soldering.

fishy
    Participant

Holding the button for 10 seconds doesn’t work. OG isn’t connected to my wifi router and I can’t find an OG_ prefix AP in my phone’s wifi, so I guess it’s broken.

Ray
    Keymaster

As I said, it’s very unlikely it’s bricked — the firmware you uploaded probably had a problem which caused it to not respond. But the chip can still be reprogrammed I am pretty sure.

timnunes
    Participant

Please update your documentation stating that USB flashing might not be supported. I wasted a lot of time trying to do that.

Mine became “bricked” while trying to OTA update to 1.1.0. Luckily I have a little experience flashing chips in Sonoff switches, so I succeeded using a USB-serial FTD thing.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, will update document. Actually, where did you see the instructions for firmware update using USB? The current OG user manual only mentions OTA update, does not mention anything about USB firmware update:
    https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/blob/master/docs/OGAPI1.1.0.pdf

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Ray.

timnunes
    Participant

https://opengarage.io/faqs/ is where it talks a bit about it. It also has a link for downloading tools to flash 1.0.1, which I eventually managed to do.

Unfortunately I can’t succeed in any OTA updates or flash any new bin files.

The OTA gets as far as “rebooting”, but nothing happens. When I try flashing other versions the device usually enters a bootloop (continuous startup sound) or doesn’t turn on at all.

allentuazon
    Participant

I also did the same thing. I updated my device to 1.1.0 using OTA but it bricked it. I could not find if from my wifi and it gives beeping sound.

I then went to the FAQ to try to reflash it but it didn’t work as well. Spent a good hour doing reading and trying to figure out what is wrong.

timnunes
    Participant

All of the tools that I found on the FAQ page or in forum posts for re-flashing didn’t work for me.

You need a Serial to USB converter, which are very cheap. It needs to have a 5v option. Most can switch between 5v and 3.3v.

You also need some DuPont wires to make the connections.

On the OpenGarage there are 6 holes (iirc), of which you use 4. You use GND, 5v, Rx, and TX. Rx goes to Tx on your adapter.

Hold the button on the OG while plugging in the USB and it’ll be in flashing mode.

On my computer (I have Linux) I installed esptool from the software center. On Windows or Mac you can research how to install esptool.py.

Download og_1.1.0.bin from the OpenGarage “compiled” folder on GitHub.

I used the command:

esptool.py –port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x00000 og_1.1.0.bin

You might just need “esptool” instead of “esptool.py”, and you might need to use “sudo” in front to get out permission to the USB.

If you want more help with flashing these chips, searching for “how to flash Sonoff” will bring up lots of info and videos, which are similar to the OpenGarage.

Ray
    Keymaster

As the release note of firmware 1.1.0 says: upgrading to 1.1.0 will restore the controller in AP mode — this is because 1.1.0 uses a different flash layout, so it will not preserve the WiFi settings. If you hear beeping sound, that means it’s in AP mode (it’s not bricked, otherwise you won’t even hear the beeping sound), you just have to repeat the WiFi setup step to get it log on to your WiFi router again.

timnunes
    Participant

Mine never entered AP mode after the OTA update.

allentuazon
    Participant

Hi Ray, its beeping repeatedly and I cannot find it in available wifi to connect to and set up.

Also i tried to reset to factory setting by pressing the button for a long time but did not work either.

mfallentine
    Participant

I want to thank timnunes for his instructions on how to update the firmware. Without this, I would have wasted a lot more time. Hopefully others will come across the thread and be able to get their system up again.

I flashed all 3 of mine to 1.1.1, huge mistake. All 3 did not come back. Complete reset, AP mode attempts. Nothing. And using a straight usb-B micro to reflash manually does NOT work.

I had to get a USB to serial converter, 5v, and wire it exactly how timnunes describes. I used this one: “DTECH FTDI USB to TTL Serial 5V Adapter Cable 6 Pin 0.1 inch Pitch Female Socket Header UART IC FT232RL Chip Windows 10 8 7 Linux MAC OS (6ft, Black)”

All 3 are now back and operational. Surprisingly, all 3 had all their settings in place so they came right back on the network (not in AP mode).

These are the commands I used:

Download the OpenGarage reflash package and unzip it. (http://raysfiles.com/og/og_reflash.zip).

The package includes esptool, nodemcu firmware, and OpenGarage firmware. Open a Terminal (i.e. command line window), cd to the folder where you unzipped the package. Depending on your operating system, run the following command (assuming the device is in bootloading mode):

Windows: esptool.exe -cd ck -cb 230400 -cp COM? -ca 0x00000 -cf nodemcu.bin
    where COM? is the serial port name you found in Step 2 above.
    Mac OSX: ./esptool_mac -cd ck -cb 230400 -cp /dev/tty.wchusbserial? -ca 0x00000 -cf nodemcu.bin
    where wchusbserial? is the serial port name you found in Step 2 above.
    Linux: sudo ./esptool_lin32 -cd ck -cb 230400 -cp /dev/ttyUSB? -ca 0x00000 -cf nodemcu.bin
    where ttyUSB? is the serial port name. If you use Linux 64-bit, use sudo ./esptool_lin64 instead.
    If you encounter any error, check if the device is in bootloading mode. Repeat Step 2 to enter bootloading mode before flashing.

Finally, once the nodemcu firmware is flashed, re-enter bootloading mode (Step 2) and run the above esptool flashing command again, except replacing nodemcu.bin at the end with og_1.0.4.bin. This completes the firmware reflashing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware I might bricked my OpenGarage?