Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

spikebike
    Participant

I’d love to be able to access my opengarage remotely, if it was secure. Not sure what the limitations of the platform, but HTTPS and IPv6 would make remote use much easier. I’d prefer not to depend on Blynk (loading the default app ran me out of “energy”) of IFTTT (last I need is another monthly expense). Not to mention cloud services often get hacked, are down, get deprecated, decide to close down a service, get more expensive, or similar issues. Assuming IPv6 connectivity I’d rather just handle it myself.

Ray
    Keymaster

If OpenGarage is to function as HTTPS server, you need to install SSL certificate, which is a hassle. The Blynk way (through cloud server) is more efficient and scalable. Blynk gives 2000 points to begin with, and the OpenGarage Blynk app uses less than 2000 points.

jagos
    Participant

A secure alternative is to vpn into your home network and then use a browser for the device’s web interface. It is a bit more of a hassle as you need to do the vpn connect first and disconnect afterward but it is the most secure method. I have this working. Also, there is no cost involved which is always nice.

And for automation, I am going to write some cron jobs on my 24/7 linux server (low power odroid, could be an rpi) that uses the device’s api so I can do pretty much whatever I want. Takes some work of course.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.