OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Announcing OpenGarage Firmware 1.0.7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

Happy New Year! We’ve just released OpenGarage Firmware 1.0.7. This firmware is largely based on Jeff Lawrence’s contributions (many thanks, Jeff!). If you have never seen the discussions there, the easiest is to just look at the release notes. There are a number of improvements/changes/fixes:

https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/releases/tag/1.0.7

If you are familiar with Jeff Lawrence’s version, here are some of the major differences:

• The images/icons for the web UI are either embedded into HTML or set as an image links, so you don’t need to upload the images to the flash memory space.
    • The JSON variable name for the notification options is called ‘noto’ (stands for notification options) and not ‘atoc’ any more.
    • Moved Clear Log to the homepage so that the device key must be provided to clear log data.
    • Improved distance sensor reading by using interrupt instead of the previous polling.
    • Added an audible way to report IP (by holding the pushbutton for 2 to 3 seconds and then release).
    • Minor improvement to the WiFi setup process (by adding captive portal).
    • Added support for OTA firmware update in AP mode as well.

The OG user manual and API document has also been updated to reflect the new firmware:
    https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/tree/master/docs

If you want to give it a try, before updating the firmware, I recommend you to keep a record of your existing settings as the firmware update likely will erase all settings (because this new firmware is compiled with a ESP8266 core 2.3 instead of the previous 2.2, it will change where the option file is stored in SPIFFS, thus triggering a factory reset). Then follow the instructions here:
    https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/tree/master/Compiled
    to update firmware. Again, because the graphics is embedded or set as image links, you just need to use OTA update to upload og_1.0.7.bin. That’s it.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Ray.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Ray.

Chad
    Participant

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t get this to upload. It always fails for OTA update. I haven’t tried the USB route yet simply because it’s a bit more effort to get on a ladder and unscrew the device from my ceiling.

CuriousG
    Participant

If you’re like me, you’ve purchased the black box rather than the clear box early on. I was never able to get OTA working with it and had to update by USB. I had the same complaint as you that I had to get the ladder out just to update.

On another note, I’ve been having Blynk issues with this firmware where I sometimes receive Blynk notifications indicating that my garage is open or has been open for an extended period of time. If you view the logs, the last log will still show it’s closed. So there may be an issue with the logic in determining whether the door is actually open.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by CuriousG.

Chad
    Participant

Mine is new. Just got it last November and it had a clear case.

Are there some logs I can pull that can help the developers understand why this is failing to update?

Ray
    Keymaster

@chalina: when you say you can’t get this to upload, what specific error message do you get?

Chad
    Participant

I tried Chrome and IE.
    IE hangs… Uploading message doesn’t go away.
    Chrome gives Update Failed.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Chad.

identd
    Participant

Does 1.0.7 support the stateful switches that the Lawrence version did?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by identd.

Ray
    Keymaster

If OTA update fails, you can try to use a microUSB cable and a computer/laptop to update firmware.

I have prepared a zip file that contains necessary tools to reflash the firmware through USB. Please download it here:
    http://raysfiles.com/og/ogflash.zip
    take a look at the README.txt and give it a try to see if it works.

vrbt150
    Participant

If you’re like me, you’ve purchased the black box rather than the clear box early on. I was never able to get OTA working with it and had to update by USB. I had the same complaint as you that I had to get the ladder out just to update.

On another note, I’ve been having Blynk issues with this firmware where I sometimes receive Blynk notifications indicating that my garage is open or has been open for an extended period of time. If you view the logs, the last log will still show it’s closed. So there may be an issue with the logic in determining whether the door is actually open.

I also have the older black box. I’ve been having having similar issues with 1.0.7. I will get random Blynk notifications telling me my garage door is closed even tho it hasn’t been opened. Looking at the CVS data, it seems the sensor distance goes from ~122cm to about 50cm momentarily then back to ~122cm.
    I’ve since flashed back to 1.0.6 and problem has gone away, and the CVS data indicates a steady ~122cm, give or take.

Ray
    Keymaster

I’ve improved the noise filtering and I believe the distance sensor reading is now more robust and clean. The new firmware is numbered 1.0.8 and it’s available at Github, also directly from the following zip file:
    http://raysfiles.com/og/ogflash.zip
    The main difference of 1.0.8 with 1.0.7 is the added median filtering to smooth out sensor data, and also reversed some compilation flags in response to a few reports that firmware 1.0.7 seems to break the device (stuck at boot). My suspicion about the ‘stuck at boot’ problem is that it has to do with changes in the compilation flags, hence I reversed the flags and will see if this solves the stuck at boot problem.

vrbt150
    Participant

Thanks Ray.

I’ve been running 1.0.8 for 2 days now, and haven’t experienced anymore random Blynk notifications.

TheDoctah
    Participant

Thank you for 1.0.8.

I was also experiencing similar problems to vrbt150 and thought that my distance sensor was dying on me. I went as far as to order a replacement module to solder in. lol

Running 1.0.8 for half a day now and it looks good so far.

CuriousG
    Participant

I can also confirm that random false Blynk notifications are gone. I did get a delayed Blynk notification about half an hour later yesterday but better than a false OPEN or CLOSED notifcation. Compiled firmware 3 days ago.

Ray
    Keymaster

OK, thanks for all the feedback.

Bdorring
    Participant

I tried to upload 1.08 from github using 2 different computers, Internet explorer, chrome, firefox, edge. None of them work. I downloaded 3 times. Didn’t say upload successfully and eventually I just have to turn my device and back on again to recover it.
    Using the Zip file provided above, it worked first time. Maybe I am doing something wrong with the github download.
    Anyway, I am on 1.08 now. Looks good. Thankyou.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Announcing OpenGarage Firmware 1.0.7