OpenGarage Forums Pictures and Creative Use “Alexa, open my garage door” — Using IFTTT with OpenGarage

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Keymaster

In case you haven’t seen this blog post:
    http://rayshobby.net/ifttt-with-opensprinkler-and-opengarage/
    it describes a way to make OpenGarage (and also OpenSprinkler) to work with IFTTT. This capability also allows using Amazon Echo (Alexa) with OpenGarage to enable voice-based control. Please refer to the blog post for details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m trying to set up a trigger on IFTTT, and I’m completely clueless??? The steps at the above link do not match what I am seeing at IFTTT.com. I THINK?, I was able to start setting up a trigger, but when I get to “Next, to choose an action (i.e. that), search for ‘Maker’, and click on ‘Make a Web Request’.”, the only option that comes up is “WeMo Maker” . Does anyone have an updated recipe/setup? I would like to set up Amazon Echo to open/close my OG doors.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After some trial and error, I figured it out. For choosing an action, you need to choose “Webhooks” now instead of “Make a Web Request”. So, under action search for “Web”, and choose “Webhooks”.

I was also able to get Alexa set up to open/close my doors. I will post a recipe here soon, as soon as I figure out how to show screenshots inline?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by . Reason: removed incorrect link

Ray
    Keymaster

You can post pictures here on the forum (there is a size limit so if your picture turns out to be too large just scale it down).

IFTTT has changed quite rapidly over the past several months and it’s difficult to update all our old posts and tutorials to match their current web interface. I apologize for the issue but hopefully in most cases it’s not too hard to figure out how our tutorial matches their current interface.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know IFTT has changed alot, but I was able to figure it out. Spending too much time here, need to get busy on Honey-DO-List…

Here is my Alexa Open/Close Trigger recipe:

This is built on IFTTT.com Maker Platform

For ‘IF’ trigger choose “Amazon Alexa”, and “Say a specific phrase” from the dropdown. I chose “garage door 1” as my phrase.:

AlexaTrigger

For Action use Webhooks, and Select “Make a web request” from the dropdown. Field Label will be URL, and for “Value” enter “http://devip/cc?dkey=xxx&click=1”. You will need your device url (external ip:port), and device key in place of the “xxx” (dkey=xxx).

Alexa Action 1

The next step will have Field Label – “Method”, from the dropdown select “POST”.

Alexa Action, cont'd.

The rest of the Action is optional, and I did not use any of it.

Now, I just say “Alexa trigger garage door 1”, and the OG relay opens/closes the door.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by . Reason: Added Inline photos
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by .
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by .
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Ray,

Any idea how we could set a trigger like “Alexa is my door open?” with a similar method?

Then the next phase could be to set a filter?, so that I could say “Alexa Close the door”, the filter would check the door status, if “open”, closes; else if “closed”, “Your door is already closed”.

Thoughts?

bgnome
    Participant

I also got Alexa working through IFTTT using Blynk since we already set it up for OG.
    You can incorporate filter code in an IFTTT applet if you become a Maker (free):
    https://platform.ifttt.com/maker
    Unfortunately, that is beyond me. Perhaps doing the status check through a custom Alexa skill would be possible?

Edit: Apparently Alexa can only trigger IFTTT applets. There is no functionality to make Alexa do anything. An Alexa skill would be the only way to get her to respond to an inquiry.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by bgnome.

Ray
    Keymaster

Yes, I think an Alexa Skil would be needed to answer questions like ‘Alexa is my garage door open’?

You can obviously set up IFTTT to send notifications to you when the door is open, but that doesn’t provide a way for you to query the status at any given time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums Pictures and Creative Use “Alexa, open my garage door” — Using IFTTT with OpenGarage