OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Wifi continuous reconnections every 1 minute

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

[email protected]
    Participant

Hi,

My OpenGarage wifi connnection gets disconnected and reconnected almost every 1 minute. Everytime I hear a buzzer 3 note melody. This was not the case in the past as far as I have noticed. It is close to the wifi AP with good signal power. I tried changing the channel and even connect to another wifi AP but still have the issue and nothing changed.

Any comments?

Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=255
    …. about 50 seconds of successful pings and then:
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=255
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.1.93: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=255
    again and again..

Regards,

jeff5
    Participant

I’m experiencing a similar problem but may be more related to the weak wifi signal – not sure.

I get frequent packet loss (on average about 30%) to both opengarage devices and, more importantly, timeouts from Home Assistant polling which really messes with automation (e.g. it doesn’t know if the state changed legitimately or was just a result of loss of connectivity).

Is there any way to rig up an antenna to the device to increase wifi reception and/or influence the responsiveness to requests from the network?

[email protected]
    Participant

No, this one is not. The signal is strong and the AP is very close to OP and I didn’t have this issue before.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

If you are hearing the notes it means its rebooting.

There could be various reasons for this – one can be if the sensor is not responding quickly enough the watchdog timer will reset the device (at least with stock firmware). Do you ever see odd (high) distance numbers on the webpage?

[email protected]
    Participant

No, I don’t see any odd distance there (258cm max). I wish in the log, I could see the reason for reboot if that’s the case.

Are you sure this is a reboot? It takes only a few second. Can it really shutdown, restart, connect to wifi, get a DHCP address in that time?

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

If you are hearing the startup melody (you can unplug and replug to verify that is the same sound you are hearing) that only occurs on startup
    You can see it in the code here https://github.com/OpenGarage/OpenGarage-Firmware/blob/master/OpenGarage/OpenGarage.cpp see play_startup_tune();
    The only other sounds are the closing automatically beeps which are different
    It actually happens before Wifi connection occurs but that would only be a second or so behind.

The other thing this could be is your power supply – ESP devices (the wifi chip inside) can do that if they can’t pull enough current. If its easy to swap out that would be a good test… if all else fails you will need to connect it to a PC to see what it output when this happens.

[email protected]
    Participant

You are right. This is a reboot then. I changed the power supply but still the issue exists.

I didn’t understand what you mean by the last paragraph.

Ray
    Keymaster

One thing that caught my attention recently is that the rebooting issue may be related to 5G network — check if your router is a 2.4G only or 2.4G/5G hybrid network. The WiFi chip is only compatible with 2.4G, and if it somehow got connected to 5G (likely because you have set the same SSID name for both), it could result in the rebooting problem. I personally use Netgear 2.4G/5G dual networks, and haven’t had any problem, but it’s not tested comprehensively on other 2.4G/5G hybrid routers so I can’t say for sure.

If the problem still persists, you can submit a support ticket and get it replaced.

[email protected]
    Participant

I am not sure about this. The issue has started from around the time a 5G router has been installed however OG is not connecting to that SSID. OG is not even connected to that router. It is connecting to a different SSID on a different router that does not have 5G at all. The only difference with the past is that there 5G router signal in the air with different SSID though.

lawrence_jeff
    Participant

Sorry -I missed the reply to my earlier message. If the device is still doing this it is probably outputting the reason to the USB diagnostic/firmware output. To debug you may have to take down the device and plug into a PC to see what messages are being output when this happens. If you want guidance on this process I’m sure we can walk you through it.

[email protected]
    Participant

OK. I did lots of investigations. The issue is not related to 5G. This is a ESP8266 bug.

The issue happens when one of my accesspoints sends an IGMPv2
    Membership Query, general”. This resets ESP8266 connection to wifi and itself altogether.

I used Wireshark and got a smart switch to mirror my Ethernet ports. What I get is exactly like this:

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/11584787/14078381/b484c8d6-f4f5-11e5-8d76-edd284d43a61.png

This is the full article:

SSDP crash after receiving IGMP message from Access Point #1826

esp8266/Arduino update for multicast bug

I think the firmware needs to be build with this esp8266 fix.

[email protected]
    Participant

I just upgraded to og_1.0.6-LawrenceJeff.bin. The reset issue does not happen on this one!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

OpenGarage Forums OpenGarage Firmware Wifi continuous reconnections every 1 minute